The International Cricket Council has turned down the Indian cricket board's request to sever ties with countries from which 'terrorism emanates', saying the international governing body has no role to play in matters like these, reported PTI.
In the wake of the Pulwama terror attack, in which more than 40 CRPF personnel were killed, the BCCI, in a letter to the ICC, urged the world body and its member nations to sever ties with countries associated with terrorism.
"There was no chance that anything like that would have happened. The ICC chairman made it clear that the decision to ostracize a nation is taken at the government level and ICC had no rule. The BCCI knew it all along but still took a chance," a BCCI official told news agency PTI on conditions of anonymity.
The issue came up during Saturday's ICC board meeting chaired by chairman Shashank Manohar but not much time was spent on it. The BCCI was represented at the board by acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary.
"So many players from member nations play the Pakistan Super League and they would have never entertained such a request. Yes, security was a concern and it had been duly addressed," the board official was quoted as saying.
The Indian cricket team is scheduled to play Pakistan in the World Cup on 16 June. There have been calls to boycott the clash in the wake of the heightened diplomatic tensions between the two countries following the Pulwama attack.
The demand has been made by some of the biggest names in Indian cricket such as Harbhajan Singh and Sourav Ganguly.
However, the Committee of Administrators running Indian cricket has so far not taken any decision on the matter, saying that it will seek the government's view.
The ICC, during the board meeting, reassured members regarding security ahead of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup in light of the recent communication from BCCI and confirmed that as is normal practice this will continue to be monitored through to the end of the event.
ICC CEO David Richardson said: "As you would expect for a global sporting event, the ICC, in partnership with the ECB has a robust security plan in place for the Men's Cricket World Cup. We work closely with the authorities in our host countries to ensure that the safety of players, officials and fans is a priority.
"Should those authorities raise the threat level of the event based on intelligence, we will of course uplift our security commitment as appropriate. We will continue to work with the ECB and our Members throughout the build up to and during the tournament to keep everyone abreast of the situation."