Rahul Bajaj, the man who made brand Bajaj a household name through scooter models like Chetak and Priya and the ubiquitous Bajaj three-wheeler auto, passed away at 83 on Saturday, nearly a year after stepping down as the non-executive chairman of Bajaj Auto. A Padma Bhushan-awardee Rahul Bajaj was one of the longest-serving chairman in corporate India.
Here's a look at the timeline of Rahul Bajaj's life.
- Born on June 10, 1938, Rahul Bajaj held a Bachelors degree in economics, a law degree from Mumbai University and an MBA from Harvard
-He took over as Chief Executive Officer of Bajaj Auto in 1968 and was appointed as Managing Director of the company in 1972
- He served as Chairman of the erstwhile Indian Airlines from 1986 to 1989
-He served as president of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) twice - from 1979 to 1980 and again from 1999 to 2000.
-He stepped down from that position in 2005
- He had stepped down from the executive role of Bajaj Group companies before his election to the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of parliament, 2006
- He served as a member of Rajya Sabha from 2006 to 2010
- Rahul Bajaj's younger son Sanjiv Bajaj has taken over as chairman of both the group`s finance companies - Bajaj Finance and Bajaj Finserv
- His elder son Rajiv Bajaj is Managing Director of Bajaj Auto
- Rahul Bajaj stepped down as non-executive chairman of Bajaj Auto in April 2021, ceding the position to his cousin Niraj Bajaj
The opinions expressed in reader contributions are those of the respective author only, and do not reflect the opinions/views of Trans Asia News.